Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Houston 2016 - Southwest Departure

This years pilgrimage to Houston was not without its tribulations in getting to my location this year. What was supposed to be a easy week at work going into my vacation starting on Wednesday was not easy. Had to stay both nights past 7pm to get things in order while I was gone.  It was a good thing that I pre-packed on Sunday! It made life so much easier - especially since I was working. Yes, I could have just packed Wednesday morning, but I did not have to run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

The weather was definitely not on my side. I knew I was in trouble when my Director mentioned how a he storm was headed my way on Wednesday afternoon. I thought, “Oh great - just what I need.” These things always happen to me when I travel down alone to meet Robert.

This was not just a simple rain, oh now. It was the armegeddon’s of rain. Rain, hail, tornadoes, you name it, it was happening.

I was monitoring weather.com all day. Watching the storm front move in. Not knowing that that there were a total of three waves moving in. The first wave we missed early morning, the second wave hit about 1130a and was over by 1pm. The final came, luckily for me, after I should be on the plane headed to Houston.

I was lucky enough to get to the airport way before I needed to (I always over compensate for time). Soon as I got into the airport, I saw the chef-in line for luggage and said, “Oh hell no” and made a strategic decision to take my luggage onboard with me. Lucky for me, I had TSA Pre-Check and basically flew through the line. Maybe 15 minutes tops!

Then I just sat, had some lunch and watched the rain come down and listen to the thunder and prayed to any god that would listen to let me leave on time and no cancellations (as I needed this vacation).

No problems here either. The rain subsided enough for us to leave and actually arrive early! My only beef with the flight was, as usual - the plane is loaded up and ready to go basically…then “Heckle and Jeckle” come on as the very last passengers. Rather than take the middle seat in the row in front of me, one of them needed to sit next to me…GGRRRRRR. Coulda had a nice open seat for the trip, but nooooo! The universe hates me again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment